- electronic e‧lec‧tron‧ic [ɪˌlekˈtrɒnɪk, ˌelɪk- ǁ -ˈtrɑː-] adjective
• an electronic organizer (= equipment that you can use to record addresses, phone numbers etc ) with 256 KB of memory2. using or produced by using electronic equipment:
• electronic music
• electronic publishing— electronically adverb :
• The data is stored electronically.
* * *electronic UK US /ɪˌlekˈtrɒnɪk/ adjective► using, based on, or used in a system of operation which involves the control of electric current by various devices, such as microchips: »
They design integrated circuits and other electronic components.»
electronic device/equipment/product→ Compare ELECTRICAL(Cf. ↑electrical)► IT kept in electronic form on a microchip, disk, or computer: »
an electronic catalogue/database»
electronic data/records► INTERNET, E-COMMERCE using the internet or another electronic communication system in order to operate: »
These days, people are using a growing array of electronic communication methods - e-mail, text messaging, instant messaging, and social networking sites.electronic payment/cash system »
Cheques are steadily being replaced by electronic payment systems such as debit cards.electronically /ɪˌlekˈtrɒnɪkli/ US /-ˈtrɑːnɪ-/ adverb► »
These journals will soon be available electronically.
Financial and business terms. 2012.